The most popular device of the last year, Redmi Note 3 (kenzo) has obtained the LineageOS support and now you can update your Note 3 to android Nougat 7.1.1 with unofficial LineageOS. I had recently published an article to update Redmi 3S Prime to LineageOS. But unfortunately, it’s based on Marshmallow as the kernel source is just made public and developers are trying hard to build custom ROMs for it.
After CyanogenMod ceased the support to custom ROMs, the crew unites under the name Lineage OS and begins building awesome ROMs as they did earlier. LineageOS has officially announced support to most of the popular devices and here, I will guide you how to install LineageOS custom ROM on your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3, based on android Nougat 7.1.1.
LineageOS on Redmi Note 3 provides all of the features as MIUI gives, in fact, it’s bundled with new functions as well. The VoLTE feature is working fine without any issues so that you could make LTE calls. The ROM is built with UBERTC 4.9 toolchain with MEGAX91’s kernel functions. It also comes with all latest LineageOS 14.1 tools.
Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 LineageOS Update: Requirements
- Flashing a new ROM wipes data. So backup your files safe.
- Unlocked bootloader is mandatory to perform developmental activities like flashing custom ROMs in Xiaomi devices.
- Your Mi device must be rooted with a custom recovery in order to flash custom ROMs like LineageOS.
- Maintain a decent amount of battery in your device to avoid power failure during the installation process.
- Install USB drivers for your computer to transfer files between the PC & mobile device.
LineageOS Update Guide for Redmi Note 3: Disclaimer
This tutorial to manually update Redmi Note 3 to LineageOS custom ROM is specifically written for this (kenzo) device and should not be tried with any other variants like Redmi Mi series devices etc. Any damage that may happen to your device by following this tutorial is solely owned by you.
LineageOS Changelog (from the forum)
Fixed Vulkan issues in FPC build
Fixed OTA issues
Added OMS support
Added OTA support
Added HALL sensor
Added 24 bit audio
Added high refresh rate video capture
Added VR Lib
Switched kernel TC to Linaro
Added final missing Vulkan library
Updated MEGAX91’s kernel with latest commits
A few other misc.
Added Vulkan support
Added GPU blobs from Mi Max Nougat
Readded KeyDisabler (for when you use softkeys)
Readded ffmpeg support.
How to Update Redmi Note 3 to LineageOS ROM Manually
- Download both LineageOS ROM and corresponding Google Apps package and copy to the internal storage of your Redmi.
- Reboot your phone to custom recovery. (TWRP 3+ recommended)
- Power off your phone.
- Hold “Volume Down + Power+ Volume Up” for at least 3 seconds and then release the buttons when it vibrates.
- Wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik and System from the recovery. Or choose factory reset.
- Now choose the downloaded ROM(.zip) and flash. Once it’s done, go back and flash GApps in the same way.
- Reboot system.
Redmi Note 3 LineageOS update guide has been finished. After flashing LineageOS on Redmi Note 3, it would take few minutes to boot up your device for the first time. It’s quite natural and nothing to worry about it. If your device didn’t turn on even after 30 minutes, go back to recovery and follow whole steps once again.
LineageOS based on Nougat 7.1.1 will be successfully installed in your Xiaomi Redmi Note 3 after a while. Make sure you flash GApps just after the ROM else it would cause infinite force closes during the device startup. If you felt any difficulty while installing LineageOS on your Redmi device, let me know.
Image & Links source: XDA