KitKat 4.4.2 update is made possible for Galaxy S3 Mini by manually updating with latest CyanogenMod 11 version. CyanogenMod 11 features Android’s recent version KitKat and your Galaxy S3 Mini can be updated to KitKat version from Jelly Bean. Manually updating android version requires root access and I hope that you have already gained root access.
If not, we will be also guiding you to root your S3 Mini and install a custom recovery like CWM. Let’s have a glance on the awesome features of this KitKat 4.4.2 version. You can get these listed options in your S3 Mini as well.
Features of Android 4.4.2 on Galaxy S3 Mini
- CPU sleep mode for intelligent power saving
- YouTube HQ-semi HQ- mode
- Wi-Fi direct
- 2D/3D hardware acceleration apart from GPU rendering option as in Developer options.
- GPS, AGPS and GLONASS navigation support.
- Perfectly working compass and sensors
- Wi-Fi and Bluetooth 4.0 with LE and A2DP
- Kernel version is upgraded to 3.0.101
- 1 Ghz processor bug completely fixed
- Working native tethering, offline charging, camera/video playback and lots more CM 11 additional features.
Disclaimer and Precautions
TechBii will not be held responsible for any damage that might cause your device after this process. Also, we are not the inventors of this guide and all the tools and apps provided here are subjected to copyright and belongs to the owner. However, we will try our best to help you in case of further effects.
- Make sure that you have installed necessary Samsung drivers in your computer. If not, download the drivers from here and install.
- Charge your battery at least 60% and enable USB debugging as follows Settings>Applications>Development> Android Debugging.
- Make a backup of all important files including files in the phone storage, contacts, call logs etc. You can also use Google account to save the same.
- Again check the model number of your device and ensure that you have the one which is specified here.
1.How to Root Galaxy S3 Mini and Install CWM
- Download latest Odin tool [link], root package [link] and CWM package [ link]. Then copy the root package file to your phone’s SD card.
- Now install Odin tool and turn off your phone to download mode by pressing and holding Volume Down + Home Button + Power key simultaneously.
- Now, open the Odin tool on your computer and connect your S3 Mini to the system via USB cable being in download mode.
- If you have properly installed the necessary drivers for your S3 Mini in the computer, the Odin will detect the device and the ID:COM port will turn yellow/blue followed by “added” message in the white box [In the Odin tool itself].
- Now click PDA button and choose the extracted CWM file (downloaded in step 1)
- Finally start the process by clicking Start button followed by checking the Auto Reboot and F. Reset Time options in Odin tool.
- Your device will get rebooted. Unplug the device and let it power on. After that, enter your phone into CWM recovery mode by pressing and holding Volume Up + Home Button + Power Key simultaneously followed by switching off your device.
- After entering to recovery mode, choose install zip from sd card and choose the downloaded root package file. Proceed further and you have successfully slaved your S3 mini by rooting and installing CWM recovery.
2. Install KitKat Androud 4.4.2 on S3 Mini – CyanogenMod 11
If you have already rooted your your S3 mini and installed a custom recovery, you can skip the above step and directly lad here. Follow the below steps to bring the KitKat to your device.
- Download KitKat 4.4.2 Android OS Package and Google Apps Package from these links links and copy to your transfer it to your phone’s SD card.
- Now reboot your device to recovery mode (procedure can be seen in rooting section)
- Flash/install the KitKat package first and Google Apps Package latter followed by clearing all cache such as data, cache partition etc. (Flashing method is described in rooting section)
- Finally reboot system and have a bast.
Howdy, I have taught you to root, install CWM recovery and to update your S3 Mini to latest Android KitKat 4.4.2 version. Now let me know if you got any trouble while following this guide. Your comments are welcomed on this guide to install CyanogenMod11 KitKat on Galaxy S3 Mini.