If you are in the eCommerce business, you should know by now that conversion rate is the driving force to getting to the top of the game. At the end of the day, smart business tactics or increased organic traffic will not help if you are not meeting sales targets. Improving the conversion rate is a necessity for any eCommerce business, as it results in increased sales and revenue.
eCommerce Conversion Rate in Detail
In eCommerce, the conversion rate is the percentage of visitors who ends up with a purchase. This rate is calculated by dividing the number of assets by the number of unique visitors. For example, if an eCommerce site receives 2,000 unique visitors in a given month and 200 visitors make a purchase, the conversion rate would be 20%.
Factors that Influence eCommerce Conversion Rates
Many factors can affect an eCommerce site’s conversion rate, including the design and usability of the site, the quality and relevance of the offered products, the pricing and availability of products, and the effectiveness of the site’s marketing and advertising efforts. There are several strategies that eCommerce businesses can use to improve their conversion rate, including optimizing the site for mobile devices, providing precise and detailed product information, offering competitive pricing, and delivering excellent customer service.
Try out our recommendations below to double your conversion rates
I. Optimize Page Load Speed
A fast-loading website can provide a better overall user experience, reducing frustration and allowing customers to access and interact with content more quickly. It is a sure-shot trick to increase your eCommerce conversion rate.
- Optimize Images: Use image compression tools and optimize pictures without reducing quality. You can go for Gzip compression for the best results.
- Minimize Plugins: Too many plugins can slow down your website, so make sure to use only the necessary ones.
- Use a Content Delivery Network (CDN): A CDN stores static files such as images and CSS files on servers worldwide. This results in faster page loading.
- Optimize your Website’s Code: Clean up and remove any unnecessary elements to improve your site’s loading speed.
- Enable Browser Caching: Browser caching allows your website to store static files in a user’s browser. When a user visits the website, these files easily re-download, saving time drastically.
- Use Lazy Loading: Lazy loading allows you only to load images and other content as a user scrolls down the page rather than loading everything at once.
By implementing these strategies, you can improve the loading speed of your eCommerce website and provide a better user experience for your visitors.
II. Mobile Page Optimization
Optimizing your eCommerce website for mobile devices is important because an increasing number of consumers are using their smartphones and tablets to shop online. It should also be a part of your SEO services. You can try the below-mentioned tips.
- Use a Responsive Design: With a responsive design, you can ensure that your website works seamlessly on any device.
- Simplify Navigation: Make it easy for mobile users to find what they’re looking for by simplifying the navigation and eliminating unnecessary links.
- Use Large, Easy-to-tap Buttons: Make it easy for mobile users to click on buttons and links by using large buttons that are easy to tap with a finger.
- Optimize Images: Use optimized images for mobile devices, as large images can take longer to load on mobile devices.
- Use a Mobile-friendly Checkout Process: Make the process as simple and seamless as possible for mobile users, with minimal form fields and a clear call to action.
Optimizing your eCommerce website for mobile devices can provide a better user experience for your visitors and potentially increase conversions.
III. Simplify Your Design
A simple and clean design can make it easier for customers to navigate and interact with a website or marketing materials. You need to discuss the plan with your eCommerce Development Services provider. It can lead to a better overall user experience and increased customer satisfaction.
- Use a Clean, Uncluttered Layout: Use whitespace effectively to create a clean, neat look and make it easier for visitors to focus on the most critical elements.
- Use a Simple Color Scheme: Choose a simple color scheme with a few well-coordinated colors rather than many different colors.
- Use Clear, Easy-to-read Typography: Use a clear, easy-to-read font and ensure that the text is large enough to be easily read on all devices.
- Eliminate Unnecessary Elements: Remove any unnecessary components from your websites, such as unnecessary links or extraneous information, to keep the focus on the most critical aspects.
By simplifying your design, you can create a more user-friendly website that is easier for visitors to navigate and makes it easier for them to find what they’re looking for.
IV. Improve Your Copy
Clear, concise, and well-written copy can help engage and attract customers and make it easier for them to understand and interact with a product or service. It can lead to a better overall user experience and increased customer satisfaction.
- Use Clear, Concise Language: Use simple, easy-to-understand language that gets straight to the point.
- Use Action-oriented Headlines: Use a title copy that communicates your products’ benefits and encourages visitors to take action.
- Use Elucidative Product Descriptions: Provide detailed, descriptive product descriptions that communicate the features and benefits of your products.
- Use Customer Reviews and Testimonials: Including customer reviews and testimonials can help build trust and credibility with potential customers.
- Use Clear Calls to Action: Use clear, persuasive calls to action that encourage visitors to purchase or take other beneficial steps.
By improving your copy, you can create a more engaging and persuasive website that effectively communicates the value of your products and encourages visitors to take action.
V. Use High-Quality Visuals
High-quality visuals can also help reinforce a brand’s identity and values and make a business stand out in a competitive market. It can help build brand recognition and loyalty.
- Use Clear, High-resolution Product Images: Use precise, detailed images of your products that accurately represent their features and benefits.
- Use Multiple Images: Use numerous images of each product from different angles and contexts to give visitors a better understanding of what they are purchasing.
- Use Visually Appealing Graphics: Use visually appealing graphics, such as infographics or charts, to help engagingly convey important information.
- Use Videos: Videos can showcase your products and give visitors a better understanding of what they are purchasing.
- Use Product 360-degree Views: Use 360-degree views to allow visitors to virtually inspect your products from all angles.
Using high-quality visuals, you can create a more engaging and informative website that helps visitors make informed purchase decisions.
VI. Simplify the Checkout Process
A streamlined checkout process reduces the number of steps and barriers for customers, making it easier and more convenient for them to complete a purchase. It can lead to higher customer satisfaction and loyalty.
- Use a Single-page Checkout: Use a single-page checkout process to allow visitors to complete their purchases in a single, seamless process.
- Use Guest Checkout: Allow visitors to checkout as guests, rather than requiring them to create an account, to make the process faster and easier.
- Use Autofill: It can pre-populate form fields with information the visitor has previously entered, such as their name and address.
- Use Clear Calls to Action: Use clear calls to action, such as “Place Order” or “Buy Now,” to guide visitors through the checkout process.
- Use Secure Payment Options: Offer various secure payment options, such as credit cards and PayPal, to give visitors confidence in the security of their transactions.
By simplifying the checkout process, you can create a more seamless and convenient experience for your customers, which can increase conversions.
VII. Target Abandoned Carts
Abandoned carts are a common problem for eCommerce websites, as many visitors add items to their cart but leave the site without completing the purchase. Here are some ways to target abandoned carts and recover lost sales.
- Use Abandoned Cart Emails: Set up them to automatically send to visitors who have left items in their cart but still need to complete the purchase. These emails remind the visitor about their abandoned cart and motivate them to complete the purchase.
- Offer a Limited-time Discount: Offer a limited-time deal to visitors who have abandoned their cart as an incentive to complete the purchase.
- Offer Free Shipping: Offer free shipping to visitors who have abandoned their cart as a gentle nudge to complete the purchase process.
- Use Retargeting Ads: Use retargeting ads to show ads for the products that were left in the abandoned cart to visitors as they browse other websites.
You can recover a chunk of lost sales and increase conversions on your eCommerce website by targeting abandoned carts.
Improving conversion rate can be a central goal for businesses, as it drives revenue and profitability. By understanding why visitors are not converting, companies can identify and address any issues preventing them from achieving their goals.
The strategy can include tasks like improving the website design, simplifying the checkout process, or addressing any technical issues that may be causing vexation for visitors.
Jennifer Simon is a well-experienced WooCommerce developer at Virtina.
She has been helping eCommerce customers gain in depth knowledge about various eCommerce trends.