The topic, retrieving deleted WhatsApp messages on Android devices, have already been discussed on several sites since last year. But most of those methods either fail to recover deleted media files or have a text recovery limit, say 100 words. Here’s how you can easily read deleted WhatsApp messages on your Android device. I will also be publishing a separate guide for viewing deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone as well.
We can’t say that it’s a WhatsApp bug which lets you read deleted messages, instead, we can call it as an exploitation of Android system to record notifications. So, does it require a 3rd party app to retrieve deleted WhatsApp messages on your device? Yes, it’s ‘WhatsRemoved‘.
It records every notification that your device receives! So whenever someone sends you a message on WhatsApp, you usually get a notification, which contains the brief of the message content. Being ‘WhatsRemoved‘ installed, it silently monitors your notification contents and saves them for future access.
What if the sender deletes the WhatsApp messages using the ‘delete for everyone‘ feature? Would it also remove the saved WhatsApp messages from WhatsRemoved? Nope! You will still be able to read those messages because of the app, which is running in the background, saves ‘every’ message shows on the notification bar. This is how it works!
So basically, you can retrieve as many deleted WhatsApp messages as you want using this app unless Android system removes the feature to record notification contents. What about the media files? Is it also possible to view deleted WhatsApp media files using this method? Damn yes! In fact, it can retrieve deleted text, image, video, & voice notes pretty easily.
You might also like: * 5 Ways to Send Pictures in WhatsApp without Losing Quality * An Easy Way To Transfer Whatsapp between Android and iPhone * How to Auto Reply to WhatsApp Messages with ‘AutoResponder for WhatsApp’ App * How to Enable 2 Step Verification on WhatsApp Number
As far as I tested, the app could retrieve both text and media files even after the sender deletes the same from his end. But keep in mind the following things:
- You can only recover the WhatsApp messages which are deleted after installing the app. So, it’s not gonna fetch you the weeks’ old deleted chats.
- This app can only save the messages if they appear on the notification bar. Which means if you chose to not display WhatsApp notification earlier, it won’t work. Change the notification settings accordingly.
How to Read/Retrieve Deleted WhatsApp Messages on Android
- Download and install ‘WhatsRemoved‘ app from the Play Store.
- Once the app opens up, it asks you select one among the three options. Choose the right option for you. If you want to retrieve both deleted texts and media files, tap on the first option.
- Now grant all required permission for the app to run in the background. Make sure enable the ‘Read notifications data’ option on the settings. Else, it won’t work as expected.
- Go to the app settings and enable Image, Voice Note, Video & Audio under the ‘Detect’ section. You can also customize it according to your personal preference.
- Under ‘Data and Storage Usage’ option, enable media auto downloading for both Mobile data & WiFi. It’s mandatory if you want to recover deleted media files from WhatsApp using this app.
- Also, in order to prevent Android system from closing the app, enable the following options as shown. If you use battery saver apps, whitelist WhatsRemoved app.
That’s it. Let it run in the background. Next time onwards, whenever the sender deletes his WhatsApp message, it will get automatically stored in the app.
I have tested this feature to recover deleted WhatsApp messages on Samsung, Xiaomi & Moto devices and all of them worked perfectly well. As I promised, a working method to read deleted WhatsApp messages on iPhone will be published soon.
Let me know whether you have any further question regarding how to retrieve WhatsApp text & media files on Android phones.