Last updated on November 14th, 2016 at 08:06 pm
This quick guide will help you root, unlock bootloader and install TWRP recovery on your Xiaomi Redmi 3S or Redmi 3S prime. Released in August 2016, Redmi 3S became an instant hit because of its affordability and excellent price-to-specs ratio. Redmi 3S sports a 5″ HD screen with 2 gigs of RAM and 16 gigs internal storage. The prime variant possesses additional 1 GB of RAM and 32 gigs storage space along with a cool fingerprint scanner.
As it’s a new device, I could barely find good tutorials to root and unlock bootloader or Redmi 3S and Prime. So I made this guide exclusively for those who want to root and customize their Redmi 3S/Prime along with unlocking bootloader and flashing a custom recovery.
Requirements to Root & Install Redmi 3S Prime
- You need to unlock your Redmi 3S first before attempting root. Go to official Mi page and unlock your phone there. [Link]
- Unlocking bootloader may wipe all data including stored files and contacts. You had better backup them.
- Download TWRP installer tool from here [Link]
Install TWRP Recovery on Redmi 3S/Prime/Pro
- After downloading the tool I mentioned above, extract it on your PC.
- Run twrp-installer.bat.
- Now boot your phone into fastboot mode. For this, switch off your phone and hold volume down and power button.
- Once your device is booted to fastboot mode, connect to PC.[Make sure the installer cmd window is still open]
- Then press any key to continue. It will install the recovery and reboot it to TWRP window.
- When is shows the modification prompt, choose “Mount system partition read-only”
- After TWRP is being installed, reboot your system and download SuperSU [here] and keep in the internal storage,
- Again reboot your phone to recovery and from there, install this SuperSu. Done
So we have unlocked the bootloader of Redmi 3S/Prime, installed TWRP recovery and rooted the phone. Let me know if you felt any difficulties while rooting or flashing TWRP in Redmi 3S/Prime.