The LineageOS based on Nougat version has been made available for the Prime variant of Redmi 3S and in this tutorial, I will guide you download and update your Redmi 3S Prime running on Marshmallow to the latest Nougat version. Redmi 3S has two versions codenamed as ‘land’ (Prime) and ‘ido’ (3S). This specific LineageOS custom ROM is built for the Prime edition and do not try it on the other variants.
LineageOS 14.1 brings lots of customizations and features straight out of the box including all CyanogenMod‘s functions. The best part is, it’s an official build which means you will be getting regular incremental updates over time. The ROM is quite stable as of now and can be used as a daily driver.
Unlocking bootloader of Xiaomi phones can be tricky. I have written an awesome article to unlock bootloader of any Xiaomi device within hours. Also, if you don’t want the Nougat based LineageOS, you can also try the LineageOS based on Marshmallow. However, I suggest you install the latest build as it’s simply awesome as far as I tried.
Xiaomi Redmi 3S Prime LineageOS Nougat Update: Requirements
- Flashing a new ROM wipes data. So backup your files safe.
- Unlocked bootloader is mandatory to perform developmental activities like flashing custom ROMs in Xiaomi devices.
- Your Mi device must be rooted with a custom recovery in order to flash custom ROMs like LineageOS.
- Maintain a decent amount of battery in your device to avoid power failure during the installation process.
- Install USB drivers for your computer to transfer files between the PC & mobile device.
LineageOS Update Guide for Redmi 3S Prime: Disclaimer
This tutorial to manually update Redmi 3S Prime to LineageOS custom ROM is specifically written for this (3S Prime-land) device and should not be tried with any other variants like Redmi Note 3 etc. Any damage that may happen to your device by following this tutorial is solely owned by you.
Download LineageOS & OpenGApps
How to Update Redmi 3S Prime to LineageOS (Nougat) ROM Manually
- Download both LineageOS ROM and corresponding Google Apps package and copy to the internal storage of your Redmi.
- Reboot your phone to custom recovery. (TWRP 3+ recommended)
- Power off your phone.
- Hold “Volume Down + Power+ Volume Up” for at least 3 seconds and then release the buttons when it vibrates.
- Wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik and System from the recovery. Or choose factory reset.
- Now choose the downloaded ROM(.zip) and flash. Once it’s done, go back and flash GApps in the same way.
- Reboot system.
Redmi 3S Prime LineageOS 14.1 Nougat update guide has been finished. After flashing LineageOS on Redmi 3S, it would take few minutes to boot up your device for the first time. It’s quite natural and nothing to worry about it. If your device didn’t turn on even after 30 minutes, go back to recovery and follow whole steps once again.
LineageOS based on Nougat will be successfully installed in your Xiaomi Redmi 3S after a while. Make sure you flash GApps just after the ROM else it would cause infinite force closes during the device startup. If you felt any difficulty while installing LineageOS on your Redmi device, let me know.