Xiaomi’s budget king Redmi 3S/Prime finally gets a stable ROM based on CyanogenMod 13 (Marshmallow 6). Though most of the devices are getting Nougat based CyanogenMod updates, Redmi 3S being a newcomer, doesn’t have several ROMs to try. But if you’re okay with Marshmallow, you can definitely try updating your Redmi 3S/Prime to the stable CM 13 Xperia ROM.
Xperia ROM runs on Marshmallow with Sony’s native skin which provides a pleasant user interface. One of the biggest concerns before updating your Redmi 3S to CyanogenMod would be the VoLTE support. Luckily, Xperia ROM provides VoLTE functionality so that you can make calls over LTE. A boon for Jio users, of course.
MIUI 8 has been troublesome with VoLTE feature and if you’re still facing issues with VoLTE on Redmi 3S running on MIUI 8, I’d suggest you update your device with Xperia ROM. The ROM is pretty much stable for day-to-day purposes and here I will be guiding you to how to update Redmi 3S/Prime with CyanogenMod 13 stable version.
Xiaomi Redmi 3S/Prime CyanogenMod 13 Update : Requirements
- Flashing a new ROM wipes data. So backup your files safe.
- Unlocked bootloader is mandatory to perform developmental activities like flashing custom ROMs in Xiaomi devices.
- Your Mi device must be rooted with a custom recovery in order to flash custom ROMs like CyanogenMod.
- Maintain a decent amount of battery in your device to avoid power failure during the installation process.
- Install USB drivers for your computer to transfer files between the PC & mobile device.
Download CM 13 & GApps for Redmi 3S/Prime
CM 13 Update Guide for Redmi 3S/Prime : Disclaimer
This tutorial to manually update Redmi 3S & 3S Prime to CyanogenMod 13 custom ROM is specifically written for these (3S/Prime) devices and should not be tried with any other variants like Redmi Note 3 etc. Any damage that may happen to your device by following this tutorial is solely owned by you.
How to Update Redmi 3S to CM 13 Xperia ROM Manually
- Download both CM ROM and corresponding Google Apps package from above links and copy to the internal storage of your Redmi.
- Reboot your phone to custom recovery.
- Power off your phone.
- Hold “Volume Down + Power+ Volume Up” for at least 3 seconds and then release the buttons when it vibrates.
- Wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik and System from the recovery. Or choose factory reset.
- Now choose the downloaded CM(.zip) and flash. Once it’s done, go back and flash GApps in the same way.
- Reboot system.
Redmi 3S CM13 update guide has been finished. After flashing CM 13 Xperia ROM on Redmi 3S, it would take few minutes to boot up your device for the first time. It’s quite natural and nothing to worry about it. If your device didn’t turn on even after 30 minutes, go back to recovery and follow whole steps once again.
CyanogenMod 13 will be successfully installed in your Xiaomi Redmi 3S after a while. Make sure you flash GApps just after the ROM else it would cause infinite force closes during the device startup. If you felt any difficulty while installing CM 13 on your Mi device, let me know.
via : MIUI forum