LineageOS 15 based on Android Oreo 8 can be downloaded & installed on OnePlus 3/3T. The stock firmware (OxygenOS) will be overridden once you update OnePlus 3 to LineageOS. As far as OxygenOS is concerned, it’s one of the finest Android flavoured UIs ever made. But if you wish to further extend the customization on your device, LineageOS is a good choice.
I have already covered several guides to manually update OnePlus 3/3T versions to various OxygenOS builds (including the latest releases) and you may refer it for flashing the stock OS if you wish to. However, in this tutorial, I will be guiding you update OnePlus 3 to LineageOS 15 running on Android Oreo 8.
LineageOS 15 is an aftermarket custom ROM & can be downloaded from their website. This tutorial is for those who are new to flashing custom ROMs and not familiar with 3rd party firmware upgrades. LineageOS updates are released in terms of nightlies and you get occasional builds for your device.
OnePlus 3/3T LineageOS 15 Oreo Update: Pre-requisites
- Keep your data safe. Backup everything before performing such developmental tasks.
- Your OnePlus 3 should be rooted and installed and custom recovery.
- Maintain more than 50% battery juice on your device to prevent power failure while installing ROM, which may cause device bricking.
How to Update OnePlus 3 to Oreo via LineageOS 15
- Download the ROM and corresponding Google apps from the below download section.
- Copy the same to your phone’s internal memory. (Do not extract them)
- Now reboot your device to the custom recovery (TWRP Preferred). For this, use the hardware key combinations after switching off your phone.
- Once your device is booted into the recovery, clear cache, data, Dalvik and system.
- Now choose the copied LineageOS ROM file and flash.
- Repeat the same step with Google apps.
- Once you flashed both the ROM and Google apps, clear cache and dalvik again.
- Reboot system.
Download LineageOS 15 & GApps for OnePlus 3/3TLineageOS 15 GApps
That’s it. You have successfully flashed LineageOS Oreo ROM on your OnePlus 3. The initial boot may take a while and it’s usual. Let it complete the process. However, if you see the bootlogo for more than an hour, repeat the steps again.
If you felt any difficulties while flashing LineageOS 15 on OnePlus 3 or 3T, let us know via comments.