Moto X Play Nougat Update Download: The Nougat 7.1.1 update has been made available for Moto X Play and now you can manually download and update the same on the device. Ever since Moto’s announcement for the Nougat update on Moto X Play, people have been waiting to grab the OTA. But the OTA prompt is not yet made available for every user and it takes a while to complete the latest firmware rollout.
Moto X Play has released in India two years ago with Android Lollipop (5.0) pre-installed and the manufacturer had confirmed that it would get the latest Nougat 7.1 update without much delay. But the surprising fact is that Moto X Play didn’t receive an incremental update to Marshmallow firmware. Which means, straight from the Lollipop version, you can update your Moto X Play to latest Nougat 7.1.1 firmware.
Nougat update for Moto X Play in India has become a trending keyword nowadays after Moto’s official announcement (Moto X Play Nougat update India release date) and I’ve been getting numerous messages regarding the same. So let’s see how to manually update Moto X Play to Nougat 7.1.1 firmware.
Moto X Play 7.1.1 Update: Pre-requisites
- Check whether you have received the update via OTA from the System Updates option. If not, proceed further.
- Download and install Moto X Play USB drivers on your PC. [Check the below download section]
- Similarly, make sure you have installed necessary ADB & Fastboot drivers. If not, download from below.
- Make a full backup of your phone’s internal memory and calls/message logs. It gets wiped.
- Maintain a decent battery juice on your X Play.
Moto X Play Nougat Update Download
How to Update Moto X Play to Nougat 7.1.1 Official Firmware
- Enable Developer Options on your Moto X Play by tapping the build number (About Phone section) 7 times.
- Now enable OEM Unlocking and USB Debugging options under Developer options for accepting ADB commands.
- Place the Moto X Play Nougat 7.1.1 firmware (fastboot_lux_retasia_ds_userdebug_7.1.1_NPD26.35_eng.praseed.170526.190746_intcfg_test-keys_retasiaall_03.tar.gz) inside the ADB folder (C:\adb). You need to extract the compressed file inside the folder.
- Connect Moto X Play to the PC in fastboot mode. For this, attach the device to the PC and under the ADB folder, open a command window and type the following command:
adb reboot bootloader
- Most of the time, the command window would stuck saying “Waiting for device” result. In this scenario, simply re-install the USB drivers on your computer. If that doesn’t fix the issue, install the PDAnet application on both phone and computer and perform the driver setup to install all necessary USB drivers on the system.
- To check whether the device is detected on the computer, enter the following command on the terminal:
- If that returns a serial code, your phone has been detected successfully. If you use mfastboot instead of fastboot, you may need to replace fastboot with mfastboot in all commands.
- Once the device reboots to the fastboot mode, perform the following commands one by one:
fastboot oem fb_mode_set fastboot flash partition gpt.bin fastboot flash bootloader bootloader.img fastboot flash logo logo.bin fastboot flash boot boot.img fastboot flash recovery recovery.img fastboot flash system system.img fastboot flash fsg fsg.mbn fastboot erase cache fastboot erase userdata fastboot erase customize fastboot erase clogo fastboot oem fb_mode_clear fastboot reboot
- After hitting the final command, the device will reboot and eventually complete the Nougat 7.1.1 update on Moto X Play.
- You cannot downgrade the device once it’s upgraded to the Nougat firmware unless the bootloader is unlocked.
- The root access will be lost upon performing the firmware update.
- The bootloader status doesn’t change, however.
- The data may be wiped and cannot be recovered easily. So I strongly advise you take a full backup.
Now you have successfully updated Moto X Play to Nougat 7.1.1 firmware using the official fastboot image. Flashing the official firmware doesn’t void the warranty, but an incorrect execution of the command may brick your device. So proper care should be taken.
If you’re having difficulties while updating Moto X Play to Nougat or downloading Moto X Play Nougat update in India, let us know via comments.