Outlook Web Access (OWA) is the web-based version of the Outlook application, and it runs in conjunction with the browser. It has a look and feel that is similar to Outlook and offers the option of accessing your mailbox regardless of location , and without the presence of Outlook on your computer.
The user will be able to access the majority of the useful aspects of Outlook that are available in OWA including an intuitive interface, as well as all the features required to keep the professional email communication.
The user will be able to find their OWA mailbox by going to the unification login page, selecting the webmail option, and then entering the username and password.
Importing PST File to Outlook Web Access
Method 1. Using Import Method
If you’ve set up the OWA account and would like to transfer your old emails into the new account, then you can transfer the PST file from your older account into OWA using the following steps.
- Click File on the toolbar and then choose the option to open and export.
- Choose the third option for Import/Export.
- Click and select to import from a different program or file. After that, click Next.
- Select the second option “Outlook data file (.pst). Click Next.
- Click Browse.
- Choose the appropriate PST file and then click Open.
- Once you’ve selected to download the PST document, you will need to choose the option that will deal with duplicate items. There are three options available to you to choose from:
Replace duplicates with imported items.
Don’t import copies of duplicates.
- Select the checkbox to include the subfolder within PST files. To apply filters to emails, select to apply filters. Additionally, you can choose to import the PST file in a separate mailbox or move it into that same directory.
At last click Finish.
The PST file’s data will be added into your OWA account immediately and you will be able to check whether the latest information is in the mailbox.
Method 2. Utilizing the Network Upload method
If your OWA account is connected to Exchange Online (Office 365), you can upload a large amount of the PST data in Office 365 using the Network Upload method via the Security & Compliance Center. The steps for using the Network Upload method in a short manner.
- Get the AzCopy.exe tool from the Import page of the Security & Compliance Center. Additionally, you will receive essential access keys which have the required permissions to upload your PST data to an Azure storage space. The access keys are exclusive for each organization, and they block access by anyone who is not authorized on the PST file, as it is stored in the Azure storage space.
- Transfer your PST file to the Azure storage location on the Microsoft cloud by using AzCopy. AzCopy tool. The location of storage for Azure Cloud is identical to Microsoft’s regional Microsoft data center in which the company’s information is stored.
- After you have uploaded your PST file to Azure storage, you’ll need to create a comma-separated values (CSV) file. This contains the details of those Office 365 mailboxes that will receive the particular PST files.
- Visit Security & Compliance Center and create an Import task using the CSV file you have made in the earlier step. The Import job will examine the information inside PST files and allow you to add filters for this PST file.
- Once the import task has been started, Office 365 will use the information contained within the CSV file to determine which mailbox receives the data from which PST file is stored within Azure. Azure Storage location. The progress of the Import task by going to the Import PST files that are available on the Security & Compliance Center.
Following the completion of the task after the job is completed, the state of Import PST Files will be changed to”Complete.
Method 3. Utilize the Drive Shipping method
In case the file size or quantity of PST files are too huge the option is to use the method of shipping drives in order to transfer PST files which will store the PST files on the BitLocker-encrypted hard drive, and then send the files to Microsoft.
Microsoft will save the PST files in Azure Storage, a temporary Azure Storage location. Then, you can upload the PST files into your mailboxes by using import PST files with Office 365 Import Service.
The limitations of the above Methods
This method provides an effective solution to import PST into Outlook Web App but there are some drawbacks as follows:
- These methods are extremely complex and require expertise in technology to carry out these techniques and another task. This isn’t possible for those who aren’t technical.
- The maximum amount is 2GB when importing a PST file into Outlook Web Access with the Network Upload method.
- If you make a mistake, you could be able to trigger commands , it could lead to the loss of your PST data , you will be required to restart it.
Import Multiple PSTs into Outlook 365 directly
If you’re looking to transfer multiple PSTs into Outlook 365, then you need to use the Office365 Importer tool.
It is easy to connect more PST files to your system or from the domain network with this tool. Therefore, without supervision from the users, the tool is able to complete all the migration tasks.
It is possible to transfer the identical PST files at a later time by using this tool. The tool allows for specific PST item transfer by the category and date filter. The program keeps all email metadata, and eliminates any unnecessary folders, such as Sent Items, Deleted Items. Overall, this program is the best solution for all users who are looking for a problem-free PST import to Outlook Web Access. The steps in importing PST files into Outlook 365 Web are given below.
- Download and launch the utility for import.
- Then log into the tool using the Administrator account.
- Choose Add File/Folder for import of PST files.
- Create a mapping between the PST file to Outlook 365 account and Validate.
- Then, select the category of items you want to transfer from PST files, and then click the start button.
- The tool should at least begin to import PST documents into Outlook web applications in large quantities and then prepare the report after the process is complete.
The manual methods of importing the PST files into OWA are not sufficient and require plenty of time and permissions to complete the task. The method for uploading to the network can transfer the PST files 2GB or more and requires multiple permissions before starting the process. This is the reason you should choose the most advanced software to accommodate this PST document as the primary source and transfer into any edition or version of Office 365.