When you browse the internet on your Mac it keeps on storing cache files that consume a lot of hard disk space. Caches are temporary files that are produced by the OS, browser, and applications you use daily. When you browse the internet your web browser downloads new data which helps you to load pages faster next time.
The cached files clutter your Mac and slow it down. Also, it consumes a large amount of disk space for no reason. It is quite important to clear all these caches on Mac.
In this article, we have listed the ways through which you can easily clear the system and internet cache on Mac.
Before using any of the methods to clear the cache on mac firstly take a backup of your data.
When you surf the internet you forget to clean the browsing history which can full your Mac affects its speed. It is quite easy to clear the internet cache but it varies according to the web browser. Here we will list the steps for three different web browsers; Safari, Chrome, and Firefox to clear the browser cache.
Clear Cache in Safari
- Open Safari browser and from the drop-down menu choose preferences.
- Now, click on the advanced tab given at the top of the window.
- Tick the box next to the “Show Develop menu in the menu bar at the bottom.
- After that close the preferences window and click on the develop tab.
- Select the empty caches option.
Clear Cache in Chrome
- Launch Chrome browser and click on the settings icon on the top right page.
- Now, click on more tools and then select clear browsing data.
- In the next window choose the time range as per your preference. If you want to clear all the browsing history then choose all time.
- You can also tick mark the boxes of cached images and files, cookies and other site data and browsing history.
- At last, click on the clear data option.
Clear Cache in Firefox
Follow the given below steps if you are using Firefox browser:
- Launch Firefox and choose history from the main menu.
- Now, click on clear recent history.
- From the popup window choose the time range and if you want to remove all the data click on everything.
- Navigate to details and click on the arrow and tick mark all the boxes to delete everything. Or if you want to clear cache tick mark only the box labelled as Cache.
- At last, click on the clear now option to delete cached data.
If you do not perform the steps manually to clear the cache on Mac then you can also use a third-party tool to automatically clean the cache. CleanMyMac X is one of the best and most reliable software that lets you clear the browsing history quickly and easily. It is an automatic method to remove browser cache. For this Download CleanMyMac X on your Mac and follow the given below steps:
- Open CleanMyMac X and navigate to the privacy module from the left side of the window.
- All your browsers will be listed on the page, select the browser you want to clear.
- After that tick mark the items you want to clean.
- At last, click on Remove given at the bottom of the page.
To clear App cache particular to your user account follows the given steps:
- Firstly, open Finder and click on Go.
- After that click on go to the folder.
- A popup window will open up, type ~ /Library/Caches and press enter key.
- Choose the files and folders you want to delete and drag them to the trash. You can do this process manually if you want to clear a specific folder.
- If you want to clean the whole system cache the press command and A which will select all the folders at once and then press command and delete.
- In the popup box enter your user name and password.
Clear System Cache on Mac
- Go to finder and press command + Shift + G.
- When the Go to Folder window appears, type / Library/Caches and hit the enter key.
- But don’t delete the folders; you can only clear the contents of the folders and drag them to the trash.
- After that, empty the trash also to complete the process.
If you don’t want to perform the steps manually you can also use the automatic way to clean the system cache. CleanMyMac X is one of the fastest mac cleaning tools which can easily clear cache on Mac in just a few minutes. Follow the below steps to use CleanMyMac X:
- Download CleanMyMac X. It is a free to use app.
- Launch the app and click on the system junk option given on the left side of the window.
- Now, click on the scan button.
- When the scanning process completes clicking on review details.
- It will bring the list of folders that contain cached files.
- At last click on clean to remove cache and other junk.
In the above article, we have listed the methods to clean the system and internet cache on Mac. System cache can make your Mac run slower and doesn’t operate smoothly. It is very important to clear the cache on Mac to boost its speed and regain precious disk space. If you don’t want to use these methods you can also choose third-party apps like CleanMyMac X which doesn’t require any computer skill or is not a time-consuming process. It quickly scans and deletes the cache files for free. I hope the article can help you in clearing the cached files on your Mac.