I had published a manual update guide for Galaxy J7 Prime regarding the February security patch and now it’s time for Galaxy S5 Plus. A security patch contains vulnerability fixes and certain reported bugs. Samsung released the January security patch for Galaxy S5 Plus for the European Galaxy users but you can update it manually irrespective of your location.
Odin is the (un)official software to flash the stock firmware on Samsung devices and we have covered lots of update guides which uses the tool. One of the biggest task while updating firmware with Odin is getting detected by the tool itself. For this, you might have to install the Samsung USB drivers along with Kies application.
Galaxy S5 Plus January Patch Update: Requirements
- The following guide if for Galaxy S5 Plus version only. So make sure you’ve got the right device.
- In order to proceed with the Odin installation, your PC needs Samsung USB drivers. Get USB drivers from below.
- Make sure your phone is charged at least 50% to avoid power failure during manual update process
- Enable USB debugging on your Galaxy S5 from Developer Options
Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus G901FXXS1CQA7 Patch: Disclaimer
All Samsung S5 Plus firmware downloads are provided by Sammobile and we’re not responsible any damage that could happen by flashing that firmware. This manual update is specifically written for Galaxy S5 Plus only and do not try with other models. This method is applicable for both rooted and non-rooted phones. However, your Galaxy S5 will be reset to stock after flashing this firmware, the root will be lost.
Download January Patch Firmware (G901FXXS1CQA7) & Utilities
How to Update Galaxy S5 Plus to Janury Patch Firmware
- Download the firmware from the above links.
- After downloading the archive, extract it to a folder.
- Download Odin tool and extract it to a folder on your computer.
- Boot your Galaxy S5 to download mode. For this, first, switch off your phone and press and hold Vol – button, Power button and Home button simultaneously till you get a warning screen. From there, press Vol + to enter into download mode.
- Now launch Odin tool and connect your Galaxy S5 to the computer being in the download mode.
- Wait for Odin to detect your phone. It’s quite normal that the phone may not be detected for the first time in Odin. For this, re-install USB drivers and update missing drivers from Device Manager.
- From Odin click on the AP option and load the G901FXXS1CQA7 firmware file. Leave the Re-Partition and Auto Reboot Options unchecked.
- Once the firmware is loaded, click the START button to begin the manual firmware flash. If everything goes right, you’ll get PASS alert. The phone will be rebooted and from there, you can detach the phone from the computer and start using it.
That’s the manual January patch firmware update guide for Samsung Galaxy S5 Plus. The firmware size is low when compared to other updates as this particular one doesn’t add any new features to the phone. Rather, it’s focused on fixing reported bugs and security issues.
If you’re having difficulty in updating your S5 Plus to the January software patch using Odin, let us know via comments.