Now you can download and install official LineageOS 14.1 on Redmi Note 4 (Mido) running on MIUI 8 or MIUI 9. If you already received the latest update, you might have lost the root access. Else, you can directly install the latest official LineageOS 14.1 ROM, based on Nougat 7.1.2, over TWRP recovery.
Official LineageOS 14.1 for Redmi Note 4 (Snapdragon) is available for public download and I suggest you check your device variant before proceeding with this installation. Redmi Note 4 has different variants and this particular ROM only supports the Global Snapdragon edition, codenamed as “Mido”.
The compatibility with other variants is untested. So I suggest you make a full backup prior modifying your stock system. If your device is already rooted, the NANDROID backup (with TWRP) is the safest backup method. Else, manually move media files, contacts, documents and similar important files to a safe location.
Installing official LineageOS 14.1 on Redmi Note 4 (Mido) doesn’t require computer access. Which means, the installation can be done easily without PC. Follow the below instructions to manually update the device to the LineageOS custom ROM.
Install Official LineageOS 14.1 on Redmi Note 4 (Mido)
- Download the ROM (LineageOS 14.1 Official Nightly for Mido) and corresponding Google Apps and copy to the root of your device’s internal storage.
- Now make sure you made a backup of important files. Once the system is wiped, lost data cannot be recovered.
- Reboot the device into TWRP recovery. For this, power off the device and then press and hold Vol + & Power buttons simultaneously until you see the Mi logo.
- If you’re flashing LineageOS 14.1 on your Redmi Note 4 for the first time, Wipe data, system, cache and Dalvik. [This option can be found under Advanced Wipe Settings].
- Now choose the copied official LinegaeOS 14.1 ROM by tapping the Install option from the TWRP home screen.
- On the next screen, make sure you chose the right ROM. Once verified, swipe right to begin the installation.
- Similarly, flash the Google Apps package right after completing the ROM installation. This is compulsory, else you may get Force Close error for Google applications and SystemUI.
- Wipe Cache/Dalvik [Optional].
- Reboot system.
While downloading GApps from OpenGApps site, select the appropriate version. If everything goes right, your Redmi Note 4 will boot on the official LineageOS 14.1 Nougat 7.1.2 custom ROM.
If you’re having any issues while downloading LineageOS ROM for Note 4 (Mido) or with the installation, let me know via comments.