Now you can download the unofficial LineageOS 14.1 custom ROM and install on Honor 8 Pro. The OpenKirin team has built a usable yet unofficial LineageOS 14.1 for Huawei Honor 8 Pro, which is based on Android Nougat 7.1.1. In order to manually flash this custom ROM on your device, the bootloader must have unlocked and root access needs to be acquired. If you don’t want to tamper the device’s warranty, I suggest you not try this on your Honor 8 Pro.
Huawei Honor 8 Pro was released in April 2017, which sports a 5.7″ UHD display, 4/6GB RAM, 64GB internal storage, and a mammoth 40000mAh battery. It boasts 12 (dual) /8 MP shooters and runs on an Octa-core (4×2.4 GHz Cortex-A73 & 4×1.8 GHz Cortex-A53) having HiSilicon Kirin 960 chipset. It comes with Android 7.0.0 (Nougat) version pre-installed under the proprietary skin EMUI 5.1.
LineageOS 14.1 for Honor 8 Pro: Pre-requisites
- Backup everything on your phone including contacts, media, messages, documents and call logs.
- Unlocked bootloader and obviously, root privileges.
- The latest version of EMUI (5.1) installed.
- Security options such as fingerprint unlock feature disabled.
How to Install LineageOS 14.1 on Huawei Honor 8 Pro
- Make sure you remove all stored fingerprints on your phone. Access the Lock screen & Security settings for this.
- Now download LineageOS 14.1 for Honor 8 Pro from here and copy it to the root of your phone’s storage.
- Download Vendor file and move it to the internal storage as well.
- Now reboot to recovery and wipe data, vendor & system.
- If you’re flashing a custom ROM for the first time on the device, flash the vendor.zip file first.
- Once it’s finished, install LineageOS 14.1 package in the same manner.
- If you need Google Apps on your phone, get GApps from OpenGapps site and flash it over LineageOS.
- Reboot system.
You have successfully installed the unofficial LineageOS 14.1 custom ROM on your Huawei Honor 8 Pro. The build has minor bugs which include camera recording and device encryption. In order to record a video on the rear camera, you need to install OpenCamera app and set the framerate to 15FPS.
If you’re having any queries regarding installing LineageOS 14.1 on Huawei Honor 8 Pro, let me know via comments.