Now you can update your Xiaomi Mi3 & Mi4 to CyanogenMod 14.1 based on Nougat 7.1. Here I guide you to manually install CM 14.1 custom ROM on your Mi3 & Mi4 to get the latest android Nougat 7.1 features. The whole process has been explained here including unlocking Mi bootloader, installing CM 14.1 ROM along with Google Apps package.
CyanogenMod 14.1 custom ROM lets you enjoy the latest android Nougat features on your Mi 3 and Mi4 irrespective of the MIUI updates. If you unlocked your bootloader and rooted with a suitable custom recovery, you can install CM right now. Here’s how you can update your devices to the latest android firmware.
Xiaomi Mi3/Mi4 Nougat Update via CM 14.1 : Requirements
- Flashing a new ROM wipes data. So backup your files safe.
- Unlocked bootloader is mandatory to perform developmental activities like flashing custom ROMs in Xiaomi devices.
- Your Mi device must be rooted with a custom recovery in order to flash custom ROMs like CyanogenMod.
- Maintain a decent amount of battery in your device to avoid power failure during the installation process.
- Install USB drivers for your computer to transfer files between the PC & mobile device.
Download CM 14.1 & GApps for Mi3/Mi4CM 14.1 for Mi3/Mi4 Open Gapps for CM 14.1
Nougat Update Guide for Mi3/Mi4 : Disclaimer
This tutorial to manually update Mi3 & Mi4 to Nougat by flashing CM 14.1 custom ROM is specifically written for these (Mi3 & Mi4) devices and should not be tried with any other variants like Mi5 etc. Any damage that may happen to your device by following this tutorial is solely owned by you.
How to Update Mi3/Mi4 to CM 14.1 Nougat 7.1 Manually
- Download both CM ROM and corresponding Google Apps package from above links and copy to the internal storage of your device.
- Reboot your phone to custom recovery.
- Power off your phone.
- Hold “Volume Down + Power+ Volume Up” for at least 3 seconds and then release the buttons when it vibrates.
- Wipe Data, Cache, Dalvik and System from the recovery. Or choose factory reset.
- Now choose the downloaded CM(.zip) and flash. Once it’s done, go back and flash GApps in the same way.
- Reboot system.
Mi3/Mi4 Nougat 7.1 update guide has been finished. After flashing CM 14.1 on Mi3 & Mi 4, it would take few minutes to boot up your device for the first time. It’s quite natural and nothing to worry about it. If your device didn’t turn on even after 30 minutes, go back to recovery and follow whole steps once again.
CyanogenMod 14.1 will be successfully installed in your Xiaomi Mi3/Mi4 after a while. Make sure you flash GApps just after the ROM else it would cause infinite force closes during the device startup. If you felt any difficulty while installing CM 14 on your Mi devices, let me know.