If you are engaged in e-commerce, you know that the efficient tracking of parcels is a crucial component of your business. This task can keep you bound to your desk for hours on end, unable to accomplish little else during the day. If you want to make this part of your business less burdensome, the best thing to do would be to find an application that will enable you to do your tracking on the mobile device you are using. This way you can determine where a specific parcel is even if you are on the road or out of the office.
Tracking through Apps
Tracking packages through apps is really quite easy to do. After you have downloaded an application, most apps will ask you to register and agree to certain conditions of service. Once this is done, you will find that most apps will have similar ways of starting the tracking process.
You will be asked specific information concerning the package you want to track, such as date of delivery and parcel code. Once you have provided the necessary data, most apps will give you the status of the delivery, the estimated time of arrival, and a map indicating the whereabouts of the item. Most apps also give alerts when packages arrive at their destination, or if some problem comes up.
The First Step: Choosing the Right Application
The top three mobile platforms today are iPhone, Android, and BlackBerry. For each of these platforms, there are applications that perform shipping, tracking, and calculations of delivery time and cost. Finding the one that will work best for you means doing some research and finding out what actual users have to say. Begin your search with the following available apps:
If you are using an iPhone, there are more than 10 apps that will help you track your packages. Here is a brief description of two of the most highly recommended apps for IOS.
- Track Packages – As its name implies, this application is a nifty parcel tracker that will help you determine the location of parcels you send through UPS, USPS, FedEx and DHL. This app will provide you with instant updates, send you notifications when the package gets to it destination, and give you the URL to the carrier’s package detail page. Track Packages comes with a handy bar code scanner so all you need to do is scan a package to enter it into your tracking cue.
- USPS Mobile – This is a free iPhone app which will not only allow you to track packages; it will enable you to calculate shipping costs using a postage calculator, find zip codes, determine delivery time and pricing for different shipment types. A bonus you get from this app is that it locates USPS offices and drop boxes near you, and allows you to checkthe status of packages sent through FedEx, UPS and DHL.
iTunes link – [Get]
If you are using an Android smartphone, there is a way for you to do your tracking even while you are away from the office. Here are two of several apps that track packages over a wide range of areas and carriers.
- Package Tracker Pro – This app allows you to track packages and parcels from 25 major domestic and international carriers including UPS, DHL Global — in both U.K. and U.S. — USPS, Spanish Post, Royal Mail, and Swiss Post. You receive alerts when your package reaches its destination, or when there is a problem. The tracker makes available a live map showing the whereabouts of your package. [Link]
Although many people have shifted to iPhone and Android from their trusty BlackBerry, some people are loyal to this mobile device, and it has its own tracking apps for users.
- Package Tracking – This app tracks up to 5 packages simultaneously from different carriers, and displays updates regarding your package’s whereabouts and status. It is supported byUSPS, DHL, and DHL or Airborne USA. [Link]
- Avery Universal Package Tracker – This app is compatible with FedEx, USPS, UPS, and DHL and allows you to track most of the major shipping carriers. You get detailed progress scans, location of packages on a Google map, and estimated delivery dates. You can track as many as 50 packages simultaneously.
Regardless of whether you are using an iPhone, Android, or BlackBerry smartphone, you can find an application that gives you a way to track packages for your e-commerce store more easily. You no longer have to stay put at your desk, keeping an eye open for notifications because you can track parcels instantly and from anywhere. This flexibility and increased efficiency will go a long way towards making your business a success.
Sonny Lawson works as a blogger and news contributor for ship2anywere.com.au . He blogs about shipping, logistics, and e-commerce, and shares latest news about the industry. Sonny Lawson is a proud dad of 2 who lives in Melbourne, Australia. Follow him on Twitter http://twitter.com/sonnylwsn.