I have recently bought Xperia M C1905 and of course rooted it on the same day itself. But further customization such as unlocking boot loader, installing CWM etc seems to be little difficult as it’s my first Sony smartphone and never dealt with a boot loader locked device. I’m having Galaxy S4 and things are pretty simple there. So, I started to search over the forums (XDA, definitely) and could see that the tutorials are scattered over various sections and I had to switch between various tabs on my chrome to complete the procedures.
For all newbies out there, here’s the only guide you ever need to read about Sony Xperia M. This tutorial is meant for bookmarking and reference. So, if you own Xperia M and want to root, unlock boot loader, install CWM, flash custom ROMs and swap memory(increase internal memory), save this page. This is definitely gonna help you.
We will be going through these procedure in order to unleash the power of your charming Xperia M.
- Rooting Sony Xperia M C1905/1904
- Fixing reboot issue
- Unlocking bootloader
- Installing CWM recovery
- Installing custom ROMs
- Swapping internal memory with external SD card
Rooing and unlocking boot loader of your phone voids phone warranty. All these steps are risky enough to damage your phone. Rooting is my hobby and it’s not a big piece of guava for me. I followed all of these steps and successfully achieved root, unlocked boot loader, installed CWM recovery and even installed KitKat (not using now). So do it at your own risk and I will not be taking any responsibilities for malfunctioning of your creature. Beware!
1.Rooting Sony Xperia M C1905/1904
Rooting is the first step towards all further customization of your phone. So we will be guiding you to root your Xperia M with the help of Framaroot. Let’s see how it can be done.
- Download and install Framaroot [link] in your phone.
- Now choose choose “Install SuperSu” and then choose Galdalf exploit as shown below. Wait till it shows success message. After getting root, reboot your phone.
- Now download and install Busybox app [link] in your phone. In busybox, choose install directory as SYSTEM/XBIN. Now click install and select Normal Install. After installation completes, just reboot your phone again.
- Your phone is now half rooted and you have got basic root privileges to install root apps etc. But you can’t edit or modify your system files. If you try to do so, your phone will reboot at that instant. Now we’re going to fix that in the next step.
- Download the toot fixing file [link] and extract it. Install Sony PC companion in your computer as it will install all necessary phone drivers. Also turn on android debugging fron developer settings on your phone. Then in the extracted folder, find supersu.bat file after connecting your phone to computer. If all drivers are installed properly, your will be detected by it and will give further instructions to proceed. Grant root permission on your phone while asking. Disconnect your phone after success note.
- Now you have fixed the reboot issue by giving shell access to root requests.
2.Unlock Bootloader of Sony Xperia M
Unlocking the bootloader means breaking the manufacturer locks. Certain companies like Sony and HTC lock their phone by bootloader. It’s essential to unlock the bootloader of your phone in order to modify your phone to the next level such a installing CWM, custom ROMs etc.
- By unlocking bootloader, you’re out of official Sony updates and supports. So do this step at your own risk and we will not be held responsible for any kind of damage at any manner. Caution. Also, bootloader unlocking will completely wipe your internal SD card. So better backup all your data.
- It’s highly recommended to backup your TA partition (In order to re-lock your bootloader in future). Read the tutorial here to backup your TA partition.
- Download fastboot drivers [link] and extract it on your computer.
- Now get your phone’s IMEI number by typing *#06# on the dial pad.
- Click here to go to Sony’s official bootloader unlocking portal and get your unique key via mail. For this, you have to provide your IMEI number by removing last digit. You will get the key the key like this.
- After getting your boot loader key, open the fastboot folder from the extracted fastboot driver package.
- Being in the fastboot folder, open a command window there (by holding shift key and right clicking on white space). If you’re on Windows XP, you can’t do that in the above manner. Install this tool and right on on the fast boot folder to do so.
- Now switch off your phone and connect to the PC in fastboot mode. Press and hold volume up key and connect the phone in the USB cable. [Make sure that you have installed necessary drivers. Else it wont work. ]
- If all are set as explained above, in the command window type fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce getvar version as exactly shown below.
- If you get a value of 0.5, you’re properly connected. Instead, if you’re getting <waiting for device> , install all the drivers again and restart your computer. Then do the same.
In command window, type fastboot.exe -i 0x0fce oem unlock 0xKEY [Replace KEY with your unique key which you have got via mail]. Press enter and you’re done. Whooppa.
3.Installing CWM Recovery on Sony Xperia M
Now you have gained full root access and you are ready to install Clock Work Mod in order to flash custom kernels, ROMs and scripts. Read through this section and we will be guiding you to install CWM in your Xperia M.
- Power off your Xperia M and connect to the computer by pressing and holding volume up button along with it. The LED will turn blue in color. Release the button then.
- Download CWM file [link] and extract it. Now copy the .img file from the folder and copy to the fast boot folder.
- Again open command window there and execute (replace boot_image_name.img with the name of .img file in the cwm folder)
fastboot flash boot boot_image_name.img
- Wait till it finishes the shell. Done.
NOTE : In case the shell can’t detect your phone, try this; Open command window in the fast boot folder. Now connect your phone in to the computer as said above. Execute the command. Got it?
You have now rooted, unlocked boot loader and installed latest CWM recovery on your Xperia M. The next step is to check whether CWM is installed properly. For this,
- Reboot your phone and while displaying SONY image, the LED will turn pink. Now press volume up button and the LED will change to Cyan color. Bham!! CWM there. Enjoy.
4.Flashing Custom ROM in Xperia M
I know that you are eagerly waiting to update your ROM. As you have installed the CWM, you can easily flash any custom ROMs, say CM 11 on your phone. But remember on thing. Before directly flashing CM 11, extract the the ROM folder and flash the boot.img file first with the help of fast boot (Similar to the installation of CWM. Copy the boot.img file to fast boot folder and open command window there. Then execute fastboot flash boot boot.img . That’s all.
5.Swapping Internal Memory with SD Card in Xperia M C1905
We all know that Xperia M is a snappy phone. But the only thing that I feel bad about it is its low internal memory. It has got 4 GB memory in built. But we could only avail around 2 GB. To get rid off this issue, you can swap your internal memory with external SD card. Just go through this.
- Download the script from here [link] and copy to your phone’s memory . Example, copy to sdcard0/android/data.
- Download script manager app from play store. Now open the app, choose browse as root.
- Load the text file from the folder and long tap it and open as Script/Executable.
- After opening it, select SU icon, boot icon and choose save. Now it will turn yellow in color. Switch off the phone and reboot. See the magic. Look at my storage info. (I have Xperia M C1905 single SIM variant and I’m not sure about Dual SIM version)
This is definitely a long post and I have covered almost all necessary guides together for customizing your Xperia M. Through this guide, I have detailed how to root, unlock boot loader, install CWM, custom ROM and swap internal memory with external SD card for Xperia M C1905/04.
Credits/Thanks : XDA Xperia M development portal, geeky devs out there etc.
Recent search terms:
- de bootloader xperia m
- c1905 boot partition download
- memory of sony xperia m1904/c1905
- misc partition detail for xperia m
- sony xperia 1904 twrp
- sony xperia c1904 repair my mobile stock
- sony xperia c1905 locker apk
- sony xperia m c1905 install recovery
- stock recovery xperia c1905
- swap sd card to internal memory in Sony Xperia M by terminal emulator