Root, unlock bootloader and install TWRP custom recovery on Moto E. Unlocking bootloader is the first step towards gaining superuser access on Moto E. So we’ve crafted a step-by-step guide to unlock bootloader, root and install TWRP custom recovery on your Motorola Moto E. We have also published an ultimate guide for Moto G to perform all developer actions. You can check it here.
Moto E is one of the budget friendly smartphones from Motorola after Moto G. It comes with android KitKat out of the box with descent hardware specification which you can’t get on other devices with same price range. This makes Moto E popular. If you’re looking for a good phone with cool specs and great build quality, grab Moto E before the FlipKart stock ends.
Through this guide, I will be explaining the following to perform on your Moto G. This tutorial is applicable for both single SIM and Dual SIM variants.
Motorola Moto E Guide
- Moto E : Bootloader Unlocking in the official way
- Moto E : Rooting in the safest and easiest way- Motorola Moto E Root
- Moto E : Installing TWRP recovery for advanced root operations.
So let’s begin with the process. Unlocking bootloader, rooting and installing CWM in your Moto E are interconnected and we must follow them in respective order. Our first task is to unlock bootloader of Moto E. Before that, I recommend you to check the pre-requisites section and disclaimer part.
- Make sure that you have the device Moto E running on android 4.4
- Install necessary fastboot and USB debugging drivers on your Windows PC. In case if you don’t have those, download ADB drivers [link],combined adb and fast boot driver package [here] and Motorola USB drivers [here].
- Backup all important files including personal contacts, call logs, messages and data in the phone memory.
- Enable USB debugging under developer options. If the developer option is hidden under settings, go to Setting->About Phone and tap on Build Number many times until developer option is enabled.
TechBii will not be held responsible for any damage that may cause to your Moto E device by following this tutorial. We do try to put our maximum efforts on this tutorial to make it safer. However, by unlocking Moto G bootloader, your warranty is now void. You will no longer receive OTA/official software updates of support. Do it at your own risk. By unlocking your bootloader, your data will be wiped.
How to Unlock Bootloader of Moto E
- After installing all drivers mentioned above, connect your phone to computer via data cable. If any debugging prompt appears, allow it.
- Now reboot your phone in bootloader mode by holding down power and volume down buttons simultaneously.
- Now head on to official Motorola bootloader unlocking page [here] and register your phone there. Read the disclosures there.
- Being connected in the fastboot mode, open a command prompt in the fastboot folder (downloaded from above). If you are using Windows XP or older versions, you may need to install this tool and open command prompt by right clicking on the fast boot folder.
- In the command window, type the following;
$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
The returned string will be used to retrieve your unlock key like this
$ fastboot oem get_unlock_data
Now copy together the 5 lines of output into one continuous string without (bootloader) or white spaces.
- Now paste the string to the box shown in 6th step in the unlocking page of Moto G. It may look like this. Then click on the blue button to know whether your device can be unlocked. If yes, a button will appear below the blue button. “Request unlock key” there followed by agreeing the terms and conditions.
- You will get a 20 digit code in your mail. Copy that code and paste in the command prompt opened in the fast boot folder as mentioned below.
fastboot oem unlock your code goes here
Execute it and thank me. Your Moto E bootloader is now unlocked successfully. What’s next? Rooting of course. Let’s have a look at how to root Moto E. You can follow this easy method to root Moto G.
How to Root Moto E and Install TWRP Recovery
- Download mfastboot-v2 extract its content and use that for unlocking Bootloader.
- Download The TWRP recovery from here and rename it to recovery-twrp.img and move it in the same folder as of step
- Download The SuperSU from here and copy it into the root of your internal memory.
- Connect your Moto E to PC and Reboot into bootloader mode by pressing and holding Volume Down+Power buttons simultaneously until the screen turns on.
- Now open a command prompt in the directory mentioned in the step 1 and execute the following command.
fastboot boot recovery-twrp.img
- Now wait for a minute to go screen blank (else the touch won’t work). Press power button and do swipe to unlock to get the touch feature.
- Select Install ZIP option and load the SuperSU file which you have copied to your SD card and swipe to confirm.
- After the flashing is completed, just reboot the device. Done.
Now you have unlocked bootloader, rooted and installed TWRP custom recovery on your Moto E. If anything goes wrong, feel free to ask here via comments. We’ll help you. If this tutorial helped you to root and unlock bootloader of your Moto E, share it to spread this tutorial.