I was stumbling across the xda developers forum and came across an excellent mod for Samsung galaxy mini, which can convert your phone running on Jelly bean to the latest android version a.k.a KitKat. Samsung has never rolled out an update for galaxy mini (pop) beyond Gingerbread, but via rooting you can easily turn your galaxy mini to Kitkat. Let me guide you to get KitKat on your Galaxy Mini with this tweak.
I have just installed this Mod in my old Mini and actually got excited. It’s an awesome mod which does exactly feel like original KitKat as I’m using in my Galaxy S4. For your convenience, I have also taken some screen shots of this Mod and I’m sure that you’d definitely like this. let’s have a glance on the pictures.
Amazing right? This mod comes with Xposed framework pre-installed and you can enable it in settings. If you are familiar with Xposed framework, you can customize your device to an infinite extent without changing the ROM frequently. Here’s a video from the developer showing the transition effects.
Disclaimer and Precautions
TechBii will not be held responsible for any damage that might cause your device after this process. Also, we are not the inventors of this guide and all the tools and apps provided here are subjected to copyright and belongs to the owner. However, we will try our best to help you in case of further effects.
- Charge your battery at least 60% and enable USB debugging as follows Settings>Applications>Development> Android Debugging.
- Make a backup of all important files including files in the phone storage, contacts, call logs etc. You can also use Google account to save the same. Use Titanium backup for app backups.
- Check the model number of your device and ensure that you have the one which is specified here (GT S5570)
How to Get KitKat Mod on your Galaxy Mini
- I assume that you have rooted your galaxy mini before moving ahead. If you haven’t, go through this link and quickly root your phone. [Link].
- After rooting, flash the base ROM (CyanogenMod 10.1.6) first. For this you may need a custom recovery like CWM. You can download the base ROM from here [Link]. The mod may not work in other CM versions. So it’s a must to flash this ROm before trying the mod.
- Once it’s being flashed, download the KitKat mod file from here [Link] and transfer it to your SD card. Now reboot into recovery (home button+power button followed by power off).
- Now choose zip from SD card and install zip from sd card. Select the mod file and flash. Then clear data cache, partition cache and dlavik cache.
- Reboot the device now and get amazed.
Bugs and Tips
♦ So far used, I have found only one bug. After startup, the android keyboard gets force closes. To fix this, install a 3rd party keyboard like SwiftKey or TouchPal and set it as default keyboard. Problem solved.
♦ For more UI tweaks, download additional modules in Xposed framework and customize.
♦ For better graphical performance, turn on Force GPU rendering and Disable H/W overlays in Developer settings.
How’s that? All credit goes to xda dev Pykfree . Do let me know how you feel it and also comment here if you have got any doubt, trouble while flashing or anything else. Convert your jelly bean to KitKat on galaxy mini using this Mod. Happy flashing.