I have been getting hundreds of requests to compile a rooting guide for Moto G 2nd Gen running on Lollipop 5.0 and here’s how you can root your Moto G 2014 without much fuss. I hope you have already seen and tried my previous post to update Moto G 2nd Gen KitKat to Lollipop 5.0. We haven’t had a stable method to root Moto G2 on Lollipop as most of the procedures gave infinite or short term boot loops.
I had tried till SuperSU v2.38 to acquire root privileges in my Moto G2 but whenever I restart my phone, it got boot loops. Chainfire has recently released SuperSU v2.39 and I had a shot on it. Fortunately it worked like a charm. It only gave 5 minutes boot loop for the first time and everything else seems to be working fine after that. I manually rebooted the phone for several times to check if the looping is still there.
Luckily the latest beta version of SuperSu doesn’t give no more boot loops except for the first time, which is tolerable at least for me. So if you want to root your Moto G 2nd Gen running on Lollipop 5.0, follow this simple procedure. I have also enclosed a recovery solution if it still gets a loop.
- You must be having Moto G 2nd Gen with Lollipop 5.0 installed on it.
- This method doesn’t wipe your data, however keep a backup of your important files.
- You should have a custom recovery (TWRP preferred). It won’t work in stock recovery. [You can download TWRP from here and fastboot it through “fastboot flash recovery twrp_name.img” command].
- This method works in XT1068/69/64/64.
Root Moto G 2nd Gen Running on Lollipop 5.0
- Download the SuperSu v2.39 beta from here and copy it to your internal memory.
- Boot your phone into bootloader mode (press and hold vol up, vol down and power followed by switching off the device and release buttons).
- Choose recovery and you may get into TWRP recovery.
- Install the SuperSU zip.
- Reboot system. Done.
Moto G 2nd Gen Bootloop Solution
In case you got (if you’re that much unlucky), you can simply follow this fix and everything else will be fine.
- Get into TWRP.
- Wipe>Advanced Wipe. Tick Dalvik and cache. Swipe to continue.
- Reboot. Wait for up to 10 minutes.
I have Moto G XT1068 and I flashed XT1069 DSTV firmware on it to get the lollipop. Everything else is working perfectly including the root and I will update this post whenever new methods come up. Keep in touch with us. You can also share your experience and doubts while rooting Moto G2 on Lollipop 5.0.
Recent search terms:
- how to root Moto g2
- how to root moto g2 xt1068
- root moto g2
- how to root moto g2 without pc
- How to root XT1068
- how to root moto g 2nd gen
- how to root android motorola xt1068
- how to root my moto g2
- how to root motor G2nd Gen
- root XT1068