This tutorial is for those who can’t wait for the official OTA and already unlocked their boot loader. This method actually fakes your firmware and enables support for the OTA as other countries like US has already released the Lollipop update for Moto G. I’ve updated my Moto G 2nd Gen to lollipop using this method and all credit goes to the XDA devs who invented this.
Also Read :
Unlocking boot loader voids your warranty and wipes everything from your internal memory. Also, this method involves complex tasks including flashing other firmwares. It’s entirely possible to lose your phone by following this procedure. So we will not be held responsible for the possible outcomes.
*This method is tried successfully on Moto G variants XT1068 (dual sim) and XT1069. Don’t try this on other variants.
*Backup your important data before proceeding.
*Download and install Motorola USB drivers.
Manually Update Moto G XT1068/XT1069 to Android Lollipop
2. Now switch off your phone and boot into boot loader mode ( Power off. Press and hold volume down and power button simultaneously. Then release both).
3. After booting to boot loader, connect your phone to computer.
4. Now open a command window in the folder where we extracted the files in step 1.
5. Now execute these commands.
mfastboot.exe flash partition gpt.bin
mfastboot.exe flash motoboot motoboot.img
mfastboot.exe flash logo logo.bin
mfastboot.exe flash boot boot.img
mfastboot.exe flash recovery recovery.img
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.0
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.1
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.2
mfastboot.exe flash system system.img_sparsechunk.3
mfastboot.exe flash modem NON-HLOS.bin
mfastboot.exe erase modemst1
mfastboot.exe erase modemst2
mfastboot.exe erase cache
mfastboot.exe erase userdata
6. Wait till your phone reboots. Your phone’s firmware has now changed from XT1068 to XT1064. Don’t worry.
7. Now download this file and copy this [link] to your phone’s internal memory.
8. Download Philz custom recovery from here [link] and copy it to the folder (we used in step 1).
9. Again boot your phone in boot loader mode and connect it to the computer. Open command window in the folder and execute this command :
mfastboot.exe flash recovery CWM_Touch_Titan_V2.img
10. In the bootloader menu, choose “Recovery” option. You will now enter into the Philz recovery. If it fails, repeat step 9.
11. In Philz recovery, choose install zip and select “update_nofsg.zip” file which you have copied in step 7.
12. Let it flash. It will take around 10 minutes to complete the flashing. After finishing, reboot the system and you’re done.
You won’t get network signal till step 11. So don’t care till then.
UPDATE : If you get dialer force close or bug on SIM selector activity while using dual SIM, you can flash new Brazilian OTA.
Procedure to Flash Brazilian Lollipop OTA on XT1069/1068
- Your bootloader must be unlocked with TWRP recovery installed.
- Download the TWRP backup of Brazilian Lollipop OTA from here and extract the ZIP file on your computer.
- Now note down your phone’s serial number from Settings>About Phone>Status.
- Open the extracted folder in PC and rename the folder with your serial number (Inside TWRP>Backups)
- Finally copy the whole backup and place it in the TWRP folder in your phone’s internal memory.
- Now boot your phone into TWRP recovery and restore the copied file. After that wipe cache, dalvik and data.
- Reboot. Done.